Alphalan - Melphalan Tablets 2mg / 5mg
Brand Name: Alphalan
Content: Melphalan 2mg/5mg
Manufacturer: Natco Pharma Ltd
Packing: Pack of 25 Tablets
ABOUT ALPHALANAlphalan is one of a group of drugs called alkylating agents. It sticks to one of the cancer cell's DNA strands. DNA is the genetic code that is in the nucleus of all animal and plant cells. It controls everything the cell does. The cell cannot then grow and divide into 2 new cells.
MEDICINAL USES:Melphalan is used to treat multiple myeloma (a type of blood cancer), advanced breast cancer and cancer of the ovary. This medicine treats only the symptoms of ovarian cancer or multiple myeloma, but does not treat the cancer itself.
MELPHALAN SIDE EFFECTS:Bone marrow suppression--sudden weakness or ill feeling, fever, chills, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, red or pink urine, painful mouth sores, cough, trouble breathing, feeling light-headed, rapid heart rate;
inflammation of your blood vessels--numbness or tingling, red skin rash, unusual lumps or masses, fever, weight loss, muscle or joint pain, tired feeling, unusual bleeding.
Liver problems--nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice yellowing of the skin or eyes.
ALPHALAN MELPHALAN TABLETS PRECAUTIONS:
· Alphalan may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Avoid contact with people who have colds or infections. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
· Do not receive a live vaccine while you are taking Melphalan. Talk with your doctor before you receive any vaccine.
· Use of Alphalan may increase your risk of developing another type of cancer. The risk may be greater if you use higher doses of this medicine or if you use it for a longer period of time. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
· Alphalan may affect the ovaries. This may cause irregular or absent menstrual periods and decreased fertility in some women. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
· Alphalan may affect the testicles and cause decreased fertility in some men. This may be permanent in some patients. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
· PREGNANCY and Breast-feeding: Melphalan has been shown to cause harm to the fetus. Avoid becoming pregnant while taking it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor.
· You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using this medicine while you are pregnant. It is unknown if Generic Melphalan is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking it.
STORAGE REQUIREMENTS:Store at 20° to 25°C (68° to 77°F).
DRUG INTERACTIONS:Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
because the risk of Melphalan's side effects may be increased
Carmustine (BCNU), cyclosporine, or nalidixic acid because serious lung, kidney, or bowel problems may occur
Palifermin because if mouth or tongue sores develop, they may be more severe or last longer
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Melphalan may interact with other medicines that you take.