Arava Leflunomide Tablets
Brand Name: Arava
Available In: 10mg / 20mg / 100mg
Manufactured By: Aventis Pasteur
Arava is a pyrimidine synthesis inhibitor. It is thought to work by blocking certain enzymes responsible for abnormal tissue development or growth.
MEDICINE USES :
Aventis Leflunomide is used for treating rheumatoid arthritis by reducing signs and symptoms, improving physical function, and preventing the development of structural damage to the joints.
ARAVA LEFLUNOMIDE SIDE EFFECTS :· Diarrhea;
· Nausea, upset stomach;
· Abnormal liver function tests;
· Cold symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat;
· Thinning hair
· Fever, swollen glands, body aches, flu symptoms;
· Pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding;
· Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands or feet;
· Upper stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark urine, jaundice;
· New or worsening cough with fever, trouble breathing;
· Severe skin reaction, fever, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eye, skin
· Pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads especially in the face or upper body
· Causes blistering and peeling.
ARAVA LEFLUNOMIDE TABLETS PRECAUTIONS :
· Drinking alcohol while you are taking Arava may increase the risk of liver problems. Talk with your doctor before drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
· The safety of Arava in patients with inactive TB has not been confirmed. You may need to have a TB skin test before you start Leflunomide to determine if you have TB infection. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
· Serious and sometimes fatal liver problems have been reported with Arava. Contact your doctor right away if you develop symptoms such as dark urine, pale stools, yellowing of the skin or eyes, stomach pain, severe or persistent nausea or loss of appetite, or unusual tiredness.
· Lab tests, including liver function, blood pressure, and complete blood cell counts, may be performed to monitor your progress or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
· PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use this medication if you are pregnant. It may cause birth defects or fetal death. You must have a negative pregnancy test before you start treatment with Leflunomide.
· Do no become pregnant while you are taking it. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking this medicine.
STORAGE REQUIREMENTS :
Store at 25°C (77°F); excursions permitted to 15 to 30°C (59 to 86°F).
DRUG INTERACTIONS :
Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
Methotrexate because the risk of liver problems, blood problems, or infection may be increased
Rifampin or teriflunomide because they may increase the risk of Leflunomide's side effects
Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of its side effects, including bleeding, may be increased by Leflunomide
Medicines that may suppress the immune system because the risk of infection or unusual bruising or bleeding may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines may suppress the immune system
Medicines that may cause nerve problems, because the risk of a certain nerve side effect (burning, numbness, or tingling sensation) may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of you medicines may cause nerve problems
Cholestyramine because it may decrease Leflunomide's effectiveness
Medicines that may harm the liver (eg, acetaminophen, methotrexate, ketoconazole, isoniazid, certain medicines for HIV infection) because the risk of liver side effects may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might harm the liver
This document does not contain all possible interactions. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.